Monday, June 8, 2009

Death

I felt like the theme for our excursion on Saturday was death. We went to the Guanajuato Mummy Museum and a place where they tortured people during the Spanish Inquisition.

Ok, first we visited the Mummy Museum. It's very interesting because all of the bodies that are on display there were naturally mummified (it wasn't done by humans like they did in Egypt). Not all of the bodies they found, however, were naturally mummified. Others decomposed like human corpses usually do. Although they have done many studies to figure out why this happened, no one knows the answer. Weird.

Here are some pictures:


the world's smallest mummy



The second museum we went to was the Hacienda del Cochero, which showcases the torture methods they used during the Inquisition. The building was so nice and built so beautifully that it didn't look like they even tortured people there. I think our guide said that they tried to hide it though, so that no one would ever think that torture took place there. It was interesting...and sadly, I don't have much else to say about it because I didn't listen to the guide as well as I should have.

We were all depressed after leaving there!

No comments:

Post a Comment