Sunday, June 21, 2009

Michoacan Day 3: Patzcuaro

We woke up today feeling horrible! I can honestly say that my body has never hurt like this before. I never knew THAT many muscles were required to ride a horse. I hurt all over...no part of my body has been left alone. Even the muscles in my hands...

Anyways, we left our hotel to get on the bus to the National Park in Uruapan. Our hotel was pretty nice! The rooms and bathrooms were nice, and one of the best parts was the television! We watched "No Te Lo Pongas" (What not to Wear!) and music videos all the time, so it was pretty nice. In our house, we don't ever watch television. The breakfast at the hotel was also pretty amazing. We had chilaquiles every morning, eggs with ham, quesadillas, fruit, yogurt, bread, french toast, pancakes, cereal, and more. It was so delicious.

It was Father's Day today, so there were plenty of people at the National Park! I loved everything at the park; it was so beautiful. When you think of Mexico, you don't really think of forest, vegetation, or flowers. Some of the first things that comes to mind is dryness, desert, and dirt. Well, here in Michoacan, that stereotype was definitely broken for all of us. The National Park seemed like a tropical rainforest! Small waterfalls everywhere, beautiful flowers and trees, and we felt like we were in some other country. Here are some pictures:

my favorite flowers. these hung from the trees upside down, facing the ground instead of facing the sky

vegetation...

waterfalls





In Patzcuaro, there were many stores, markets, and parks full of artesan stands. We were given 2 hours to walk around, eat, and shop. I decided to go shopping first, but didn't buy anything but earrings and a bracelet. Everything that they were selling were really traditional Mexican products (clothing, housewares, etc.), so I didn't buy much. It was very interesting to look at though, to see what kinds of things are really important in their culture. Here are some pictures of the center of town:







I was walking around and shopping by myself, so I caught up with some friends for lunch. I don't remember what the dish was called, but it was really good and only 35 pesos! The presentation was really nice too...



No comments:

Post a Comment